A bit of Drama?

Drama ~ the quality of being arresting or highly emotional

If you ask me what type of movies/television shows I enjoy watching, I'd definitely tell you that it's not going to be drama. I've never been a fan of drama for as far back as I can remember. It's never as fun as comedy or as exciting and eventful as fantasy movies/shows, in my opinion.

But that was before a friend of mine started bringing home a bunch of those Korean films. (Surprisingly, the films are quite good -
impressive acting, story and cinematography, the productions in general are noticeably very professional) The drama is unlike any I've seen before, my friends would literally bawl like babies in some scenes. Including me? Ahem.. Of course not. Everybody knows that real boys don't cry.

So, why does drama bring so much impact? Is it because everyone of us could relate when it comes to drama unlike in other genres? Are we getting a little too high with all the drama that's happening? Getting lost in it? Even forming addictions? Who cares, right? I think we all could use a bit of drama, those occasional tugs at our hearts. Try them (the films/series :D) and I'll bet you'll understand what I'm saying. :]

2 comments:

Stainless Steal said...

like you ive been watching a lot of drama lately, but i haven't given much thought about why i get hooked to them until i read your blog. hehe. thought id just share my thoughts:

in drama films/series (especially those from korea) we see people doing things people wouldn't usually do in real life.

a CEO ending up marrying a poor but charming lady, a man remaining in love with his childhood sweetheart even though they haven't been seeing each other for a very long time - are just but some of the many cliches in korean drama films/series.
we know they dont happen in real life.
a CEO may fall for a poor but charming lady, but marry her he won't.
and a man remaining in love with same woman for the rest of his life?
oh come on, we all know that men by nature are polygamous. :b
(not to mention that people are capable of moving on with their lives.)

i guess it's basically this:
that we turn into drama films/series (or watch a lot of them films/series) the stories we would like to have for ourselves (but we know we can't have)
just as we sing the words we yearn to say but cant just say.

jo_cstd said...

i guess it's basically this:
that we turn into drama films/series the stories we would like to have for ourselves (but we know we can't have)
just as we sing the words we yearn to say but cant just say.


The lives/stories in drama films and series are hardly enviable. I also can't consider a film with a CEO falling and marrying a poor but charming lady drama, they're more like fairy tales to me.. but I do see your point. thanks :p

Google